Best Online Blackjack Casino Sites
Blackjack is one of the most-loved casino games of all time, second only to poker in the hall-of-fame gaming stakes. Online blackjack is hugely popular because it offers quick and easy casino entertainment straight from the comfort of your own home. There’s a variety of blackjack games to play at many of the world's top online casinos. To help you decide which ones to place your bets on, check out our 2020 New Zealand blackjack casinos guide below!
Finding the Best Blackjack Casino Sites Online
With so many blackjack sites available, there are a few things you want to look for before settling on your blackjack casino. The best blackjack casino sites will offer all the variations of blackjack, including live blackjack play with live dealers. You want to pick a top-rated site that’s popular with casino players. You should find a top blackjack site that’s easy to use with a well presented virtual table that provides fuss-free gaming. For recommendations, be sure to check out the list above of our editor's picks for the Top New Zealand Sites For Blackjack!
Types of Blackjack Variations
There are many types of blackjack games, with variations of the casino classic played across different countries and different casinos. Here are some of the most popular blackjack variations.
- Surrender Blackjack | This is a form of blackjack that allows players to surrender their hand and receive half the bet back.
- Perfect Blackjack | This variation of the game gives players the chance to place up to five blackjack side bets, otherwise the rules are just like regular blackjack with the dealer sticking on 17.
- Pontoon | Usually played with eight decks, this version uses the standard blackjack rules with the player receiving two face up cards and the dealer receiving two face down cards.
- Switch Blackjack | The player gets two hands instead of one in this blackjack game, with the option to switch the top two cards between hands.
- Multi-Hand Blackjack | This is a variant of the game that allows players to play more than one hand per game.
Blackjack Strategy: When to Split or Double Down
Every blackjack player should learn the blackjack strategy that enables you to bring the house edge down to a minimum. It’s a proven method that teaches the player whether to hit or stand on certain cards. It also suggests when to double down or split cards. The strategy advises on live blackjack and online blackjack to split on a pair of aces or a pair of eights. This is because it would boost the player’s chances of getting closer to 21. Doubling down is when the house allows you to double your bet after the cards have been dealt. The best strategic move would be to double down on a 10 or 11 as you then have a 30% chance of hitting blackjack. Make sure you take a good look at the blackjack strategy before hitting the blackjack table to maximise your chances of coming away with full pockets.
Blackjack Rules: How to Play Online
Blackjack is a very simple game to play. Hence why it’s so popular among casino players. The aim of the game is to get closer to 21 than the dealer (it’s always the player versus the dealer). Two cards are initially dealt with the player choosing to ‘stick’ (no more cards) or ‘hit’ (another card is dealt to the player). The most popular version of blackjack sees the dealer having to stick when they reach 17 or over. Players can hit as many times as they like but once they go over 21, the dealer wins. The best possible blackjack hand is called ‘blackjack’, which is an Ace and a face card (10) which gives you 21. This usually pays out 1.5x your wager. The amount of decks used in the game usually depends on the casino. There are a few other blackjack rules to be aware of, too:
- Splitting Pairs | If the player’s first two cards are the same then they can split them into two separate bets.
- Doubling Down | Players have the option to double their wager if they land a total of 9,10 or 11 on their first two cards.
- Insurance | When the dealer’s face-up card is an Ace, players can make a side bet (up to half the original bet) that the dealer’s other card is a face card. If it’s a face card then your side bet pays 2 to 1.
Top-Rated Blackjack Games 2020
Blackjack is widely played online across live dealer tables, virtual tables and 3D tables. Here are some of the top-rated blackjack games to enjoy online.
- Pontoon | This much-loved version of the game has stood the test of time and will continue to be a solid favourite for casino players.
- Multi-Hand Blackjack | This game suits the blackjack expert, allowing them to play several hands at the same time and brings even more blackjack action to the felt.
- Switch Blackjack | This a new version of the game and is proving to be a popular choice. Not all casinos offer this variation of the game.
History of Blackjack
Blackjack is one of the oldest casino games out there. This table classic that has now become the most famous form of gambling allegedly started in France or Spain in the 18th century (although this is still debated). The game was called ‘Vingt-et-un’ which translates to ‘21’. In Spain, it was called ‘Trente-un’ which translates to ‘31’. It’s even been referenced in books written way back in the 1400’s. These older games involved cards and reaching a certain number but are not exactly the same as modern blackjack. They did however lay the foundations for the casino favourite we know and love to this day. Why not enjoy a slice of card game history today.